Tuesday, September 26, 2006

A Helping Hand

This morning I was sitting at my desk and this guy came in… I smiled like I always do and asked what I could do for him… he said that him and his wife were hitchhiking to Longview and he was looking for some work to make a few bucks to get his wife something to eat (he had work gloves in his back pocket, said at one time he had tools too but he had to sell them for money)… he said that they had slept outside last night and would do any kind of work that we had… something about this man affected me… not in a bad way or anything just in a well, I really felt like he was being honest… my co-worker, the one who is such a Christian, or so he claims, was basically so rude to the poor guy… after the guy left my co-worker was talking trash about people like that and how they’re just panhandlers and blah, blah… I didn’t even think about it until after he left but I looked in my wallet and all I had was $5… I keep looking out the door hoping that the guy will walk back by so I can give him the $5… I’m not concerned with what he spends it on, I will just know that I did my part to help someone out who needed it… that’s what matters… like I said, I don’t give money to everyone who asks but I will try to help someone out if I can… I’m not saying that I can always tell who really needs the money and who doesn’t but sometimes you just get a feeling… I know, feelings can be wrong but if it’s my feeling then that’s what I should do… it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks… it’s what I think and what I feel…. I was just thinking, he obviously needs the money more than I do… he has no job, he’s trying to feed his wife, they have no car, no house… and these are things that I take for granted each and everyday… I need to learn to be conscious, mindful, and thankful for all that I have…
I just drove down to the store where I thought he might be and I didn’t see him… at least I know that I tried and did all I could do…
Last night I was driving home from the restaurant and had my sunroof open… the road that I take back and forth to i.p. is kinda dark… there aren’t many, if any, street lights out there… I happened to look up and see the stars… the night sky was so beautiful… I had forgotten how pretty it was when it was so clear and you could see everything in the sky… I am really trying to see the beauty in everything… I’m getting better at it and I’m better today than I was yesterday…

No comments: